About the Belgian Financial Forum
The Belgian Financial Forum was set up in 1992 upon the initiative of key figures from the financial and academic world and with the explicit support of the National Bank of Belgium (NBB) and the (former) Belgian Banking Association (BBA).
The Forum strives to promote analytical research and prospective ideas on financial issues, organises lectures and conferences and also publishes two journals, namely the Banking & Finance Review and Banking & Finance Law. It arranges activities in Brussels and in 15 regional centres. In 2013, a renewed protocol governing the organisation of the Belgian Financial Forum was concluded between the NBB and Febelfin, the umbrella federation for the Belgian financial sector. As from 01/01/2017 the platform of the Financial Forum is wider supported by FSMA and Assuralia.
In Brussels, a secretariat is provided by the National Bank of Belgium and Febelfin, respectively, for lectures/conferences and for the journals.
The regional Fora are run by Regional Committees, largely made up of active members of the financial community in the broad sense of the term. The Committees have a wide degree of autonomy for ensuring the functioning, activities and financing of the Forum in the region in question. The NBB provides the secretariat for the Regional Committees.
The Forum pursues the following objectives:
- to stimulate research into and discussion of economic and financial issues in the broad sense;
- to act as a meeting place for professionals, policy-makers, university academics and corporate interests in the field of finance, not only in Brussels, but also in the different regions of the country;
- to promote the dissemination of knowledge and know-how in the financial and economic fields, by way of publications, lectures, seminars and committee work.
The Forum aims to reach a wide professional public, including management staff of financial institutions, of industrial and commercial enterprises and of governmental institutions, academic staff, accountants, auditors, financial intermediaries, …
The main body of the Belgian Financial Forum is the Steering Committee, which sets out the broad lines of action. Outside Brussels, each regional Forum is headed up by a Regional Committee, which enjoys wide autonomy. The Brussels-based Forum cooperates with the Regional Committees through the Coordinating Committee
- Jean Hilgers (president)
- Bruno Colmant, Hans De Cuyper, Wien de Geyter, Annemie Rombouts, Freddy van den Spiegel, Karel Van Eetvelt.
- Freddy Van den Spiegel (president)
- Luc Aucremanne(*), Alain Beele, Tom Boedts(**), Henk Bossaert(***), Jean Cattaruzza, Geoffrey Colson, Alain de Crombrugghe(*), Marc De Geyter, Wien De Geyter, Jean-Pierre Deguée(**), Frank Lierman, Jan Victor.
* Monetary and Financial Commission, ** Legal Affairs Commission, *** Risk Management Commission,
**** Chief Editor Revue bancaire et financière, ***** Chief Editor Droit bancaire et financier